Welcome to Elder Benjamin Sierra's Missionary Blog. Elder Sierra will be serving for two years in the Chile Santiago South Mission as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

MISSIONARIES LOVE TO GET LETTERS (AND CARE PACKAGES)! IF YOU'D LIKE TO WRITE TO ELDER SIERRA, PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESSES:

ELDER BENJAMIN SIERRA
CHILE SANTIAGO SOUTH MISSION
FRANCISCO ARANDA 530
SAN BERNARDO
REGION METROPOLITANA (SANTIAGO)
CHILE

EMAIL:

benjamin.sierra@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

LOTS OF NEW INVESTIGATORS AND A BIKE ROBBERY BACKFIRES

August 30, 2017

Hey!

So you know how last week was pretty lame? Well this week was a lot better!!! I don't know if I mentioned that last week on, maybe, Tuesday, my comp and I kinda got fed up with each other and then we talked with the Zls. Well, now we're doing really well! Well, at least compared to last week. We've been talking a lot more and getting along great! I've been helping him more with English and recently, he's been kinda interested in going to the States (more on that later...), partly because the son of one of our members in the ward came to visit her and he's lived in Miami for the last 44 years. He's SUPER American, like more American than me! He went off for half an hour about how amazing the States are in every aspect: the people, economy, food, landscape. And Elder Bellido just sat their soaking it all in. On Sunday, he wore a USA pin on his suit and E' Bellido was like, "Hey, I like your pin!" and he was like, "I always bring my country with me wherever I go!". So now he's thinking about it...

Recently we've been teaching Haitians again! We started with a Spanish class, got some people coming and then invited a missionary that speaks French to come and harvest them! There were 5 when he taught and two of them were assistants to an Evangelical Pastor so they weren't very receptive. The other 3 really like the message of the restoration and want to hear more. One of them is extra cool. His name is Rosney and he went to church! Anyway, there came a moment towards the end where we gave them all a Book of Mormon in French and one of the less receptive ones was like, "So can I sell this?" (just to be lame) and we (the missionary who spoke French) were like, "Well, you defintely shouldn't." And he was like, "Yeah, but I could use the cash." Then the Elder said "Well, if you think the Word of God should be sold, go right ahead" And everyone went kinda silent. 

In the sector things have been better! We've found tons of people through service, Spanish classes, and some contacts! Actually, we found 12, which is really, really uncommon in our mission, so it was a pretty good week! 

Yesterday was a crazy day. First ,I woke up sick! Sore throat with headaches and just kinda general achiness. kinda lame. Then we had our district meeting and it was swell. Then, when we went out to work, my bike axel broke so we had to head to a of couple appointments on foot! Then we headed to a bike shop. I had switched bikes with my companion so he would ask because they would be sure to overcharge me for being American. When we asked about it, the price seemed kind of expensive so we walked away and called the office to see if they wanted us to do the repairs there or somewhere else. They didn't respond and we were at a corner thinking of what to do (with the bikes in our hands) when a young guy comes up to us all like "hey, Imma need your bike" and we're like "um, no" and then he says "Well, look! I have a knife!" and opens his jacket to show us a kitchen knife he has in his pocket. So, we just had to give him the bike... HOWEVER, the funny thing was he took MY bike from my comp, the broken one! I don't know how far he got, but at some point I sleep well knowing the back wheel fell off, probably while he was riding it. 😁
We called President to let him know what happened and he just died with laughter! He thought it was the funniest thing in the world! So, yesterday was a pretty lame day, but I'm getting  a new bike today so it's all good. These bikes will come with gps trackers so the next times someone is robbed, President will be able to find it on his phone and we'll get the police to round 'em up! 

Today was Susan's B-day party too! It was pretty fun, we just passed by her house, ate some completos and gave her her gift! I guess I forgot to mention the gift we planned for her! I had always known she wanted a quad (like the one I have) so I made a plan with 5 other missionaries to have a member buy a quad at the temple and all of us pitched in $13 each for it! We all wrote a little message in the blank pages and she loved it! I have a video of it, but I forgot my adaptor!!!! 🙃

Anyway, that was pretty much my week! Love you all. Have a good one!

-Elder Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment