Welcome to Elder Benjamin Sierra's Missionary Blog. Elder Sierra will be serving for two years in the Chile Santiago South Mission as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

MISSIONARIES LOVE TO GET LETTERS (AND CARE PACKAGES)! IF YOU'D LIKE TO WRITE TO ELDER SIERRA, PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESSES:

ELDER BENJAMIN SIERRA
CHILE SANTIAGO SOUTH MISSION
FRANCISCO ARANDA 530
SAN BERNARDO
REGION METROPOLITANA (SANTIAGO)
CHILE

EMAIL:

benjamin.sierra@myldsmail.net

Saturday, May 27, 2017

WORKING ON MY SPANISH FLUENCY AND GOING HAM ON MY AREA WITH MY NEW COMPANION

December 7, 2016

Dear Family,

Can you believe it? 4 months already? Although it does feel fast, it also has basically felt like all I've known! Everything is so different here it's seriously like another life. 

Anyway, transfers came and my trainer left for the opposite side of the mission and I got Elder Canaán! He's a little Mexican dude and he's pretty cool! He's actually only been in the mission for 2 more transfers than me! And, he just finished training someone directly after his training! I brought my camera with some pictures but I think I forgot my cord so it looks like we'll have to wait till next week :/  I'm excited to work with him and just go ham in this sector!

I'm really wanting to get my Spanish better and better so I can speak with less trouble and I can connect with my companion better. I can usually say whatever I want but as you know, fluency is a whole nother level!  I live with 2 latinos and a gringo (and then myself) so I'm mostly speaking Spanish almost all day. I also speak to Elder Scott in English here and there but the other 2 elders don't like to be left out (understandably). 

Also in regards to the toast [for John Gregory's wedding reception], I'm very sorry but I haven't gotten the chance to work on it since last week!!! I'm really sorry but my trainer kept us out late for the last 3 nights doing farewells and we got home late so I really didn't have time! I'm SUPER busy this week too 'cause I also have to do a LOT of work in the Area book, but I'm literally going to do all I can to get out a finished version for this next p-day. 

Those gosh darn reactivations didn't happen last week!!! I don't know what happened with one couple but the wife of the other did something to destroy her foot and she couldn't even fit it into her shoe. This next week, I'm going to try hard again to get it to happen and also to get bishop to give them some assignments/callings. 

So I'm getting a 12 days of Christmas!?!?! :D
Wow! I'll look for that on Monday! There's not really a way to get it any sooner cause I won't be going to the office. We got a tree, though, from Bishop!!! It's like 5 or 6 feet tall and Elder Canaan got some lights from a missionary who was going home so it also has some lights on it! It's kinda lame, this whole music thing. Maybe he'll make some exceptions around Christmas but I don't know. 

I'm now forced to speak a lot more Spanish so hopefully it helps me. In lessons things run pretty dang smoothly but outside of lessons and explaining really difficult things is when things get rough. Also this is a TOUGH accent and being in the poorest part of the city people don't speak perfect castellano. I'm hoping to develop an accent similar to that of my comp.

Anyway, we're just going to be basically rebooting this sector cause after my trainer did farewells we lost contact with a lot of the investigators we have so we're working to restore contact. 
That's mostly all I have for this week. Love you all!

-Elder Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment