Welcome to Elder Benjamin Sierra's Missionary Blog. Elder Sierra will be serving for two years in the Chile Santiago South Mission as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

MISSIONARIES LOVE TO GET LETTERS (AND CARE PACKAGES)! IF YOU'D LIKE TO WRITE TO ELDER SIERRA, PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESSES:

ELDER BENJAMIN SIERRA
CHILE SANTIAGO SOUTH MISSION
FRANCISCO ARANDA 530
SAN BERNARDO
REGION METROPOLITANA (SANTIAGO)
CHILE

EMAIL:

benjamin.sierra@myldsmail.net

Monday, April 17, 2017

MARIACHIS IN CHILE?

October 12, 2016

Dear Family,

Last P-day we got to go to the President's house which was really big (like about our house) and very beautiful. They live in the nice part of Santiago which is outside of our mission. It's literally called La Reina haha. 

Last week was pretty good. We made a lot of progress not only with our investigators, but also the youth program has been having some awesome growth! Most of the youth are recent converts and we just got one ordained to a teacher and who received the priesthood last Sunday. And, he and another girl got temple recommends. We're having a temple trip on Saturday and our mission president was super cool about it. We called him for permission and were like, "Hey President." 
"Hey how's the calling?"
"Great! we have some youth who just got their temples recommends an-" 
"So when are you going?...."
He's just really chill with rules and says he prefers to trust that we know what we're doing. 

We also set up English classes in the Church for every Wednesday night starting tomorrow. Bishop even announced it twice during sacrament meeting for us!

Another neat thing is that I'll be in a triplet starting Sunday night because one of the missionaries in our casa is finishing his mission on Sunday. It should be some good fun but it means we'll have to walk a lot more than we usually do and we already walk like 7-9 miles a day! 

Anyway, for this p-day we went to a park in a nicer part of town to play baseball and frisbee. It was fun and we went to an outlet store afterward and I got the jersey of a local team here called "Cholo Cholo". It was a killer deal (about $15). There's another rival team in Chile called "La U" (La Universidad de Chile) It's a club team like normal but it's named after the local college. When they have their classicos here people go nuts. 

Oh yeah, I also got the chance to give my first blessing in Spanish! Which was like my second blessing ever! I was super nervous when the woman asked me to, but everything went really well and I knew what I had to say. How to say it was a bit of a different story and that was rough, but I communicated everything I needed to. 

Anyway that's all for this week! Love you all!

-Elder  Sierra


P.S. I also forgot to mention I'll be leading my sector tomorrow for the first time! I have splits tomorrow but I'll be staying! I'll have a Chilean companion who's one of my favorites. There are four missionaries generally to a ward (or area). We split up the ward into two sectors. This entire time I've either been with my comp in my own sector or I've go on a split to a different area, so I have never been the leading missionary who knows the sector best. But tomorrow I will be and I'll be leading my temporary comp to each lesson and calling most of the shots. It'll be neat and our sector is 750 meters by 3 km. I did the math super fast. We work in about a square mile area!



We were at this one dude's house for dinner on Sunday and he has all these instruments. The funny thing is, he's actually kinda horrible at all of them! Elder Scott asked if he could see his mariachi suit and eventually he just got the whole shabang out and we started taking pictures. The guy also brought out his revolver and the other elders took pictures with it. I almost did but they put it away. Upon further inspection though it was loaded lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment