Welcome to Elder Benjamin Sierra's Missionary Blog. Elder Sierra will be serving for two years in the Chile Santiago South Mission as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



WRITE ELDER SIERRA!

MISSIONARIES LOVE TO GET LETTERS (AND CARE PACKAGES)! IF YOU'D LIKE TO WRITE TO ELDER SIERRA, PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESSES:

ELDER BENJAMIN SIERRA
CHILE SANTIAGO SOUTH MISSION
FRANCISCO ARANDA 530
SAN BERNARDO
REGION METROPOLITANA (SANTIAGO)
CHILE

EMAIL:

benjamin.sierra@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

FINAL GOODBYES. PART OF MY HEART IS DEFINITELY GOING TO GET LEFT IN CHILE

July 11,2018

This week there was a lot of "final" stuff! My final testimony at Zone Conference, my final interview with President and my final visits with some investigators. 

This week, we've been working more closely with Rene and Mikaela and thanks to it, they've been progressing more and more. They're serious about getting married but we just need to wait for Rene's [chemotherapy] treatments to be over. When they found out that I was going home next week they were quite sad. We'll be having a visit with the sister missionaries that will be taking over our area today. 

A funny story: the other day, the four of us (me, my comp, and the sister missionaries) were walking home at night when this taxi driver stops and says "Hey, I'll take you guys to the end of the street, if you'd like." The other 3 are like, hmmm, but I go, "Ok, cool!" and get in the front seat and then they follow me in. We just start shooting the breeze with the driver and it turns out he lives in my first sector and knows a tiny bit about the missionaries. When we got to the end of the street, we get out. When I get out they start asking, "So, did you know him?!?" "Well no, but he seemed cool" and then I turn to the sisters and say, "But never do something like that alone!"

Monday was Zone Conference, and President wanted our entire jumbo group to be together so he made it a full mission conference. Since there are 22 of us going home, the time for testimonies took a good 2 and a half hours. I was a little worried about what I was going to say but when the time came, I was able to express my thoughts and feelings on the mission very well and concisely. 

I also had my last interview, yesterday, with President Gwilliam. In the interview he said that he had prayed the night before and in the morning to know what he needed to say to those of us he would be interviewing today. He said that the answer that he received for me was to tell me that the Lord had accepted fully my offering. He said it wasn't something he could say to every missionary he has had (though he wishes he could) but he could say it to me. That was a really nice moment and since the zone conference and the interview, especially, I've felt very good. I feel peaceful.

A little funny conversation:

Bishop had asked us to help translate John's (our Haitian convert) interview last night. We were waiting for bishop to show up at the church and our Haitian RM, Davidson, who also speaks English, is playing ping pong with my comp. John's feeling the nice flooring of the stage.

John: "Wow, Sa a se bél (Wow, this is beautiful)

Davidson without taking his concentration off ping pong: 
It's the Church of Jesus Christ.... (in english)


I don't really know how to conclude this email, it being my last. All I can say is that if I thank my Father in Heaven for this opportunity He's given me to serve a mission every day morning and night, it still wouldn't be enough. It's by far the greatest decision I've made in my life and has rendered a plethora of spiritual growth and life skills. Part of my heart is definitely going to get left in Chile. 



-Elder Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment